Our Science Curriculum is built on our vision of ‘Roots to Grow and Wings to Fly’ and reflects the needs of our community.
It is our aim, through Science, that all pupils at By Brook Valley School will be
- provided with opportunities that enable them to grow and develop as scientists, building on their prior Science learning
- supported to develop their scientific knowledge and skills as they make their journey through their primary school education, ensuring that their learning is relevant to all areas of their life.
- curious, through starting each area of scientific learning with a ‘Big Question’. We will challenge pupil’s thinking and this will be revisited at the end of each term,
- encouraged to broaden their use of Scientific vocabulary
- able to answer the ‘big question’ demonstrating their new knowledge and deeper understanding
Reading plays a central part in Science. Through the use of high quality texts and sources, we aim to challenge the pupils, building on vocabulary so that it can be used in all areas of their learning.
In Science we aim to develop children’s natural curiosity and excitement. Through our curriculum we give them first hand opportunities to explore the world around them and develop scientific skills: questioning, observing, predicting, hypothesising, evaluating and fair testing. Emphasis is put on practical work and making sense of what has been found out.