Writing Intent Statement
Roots to grow wings to fly
Our intention when planning and teaching writing at By Brook Valley Primary School is to help the children establish their roots as writers through developing a genuine love of language and the written word, through a text-based approach; this links closely to the way we teach reading. We strive to support our children to grow into fluent and confident writers, able to articulate their opinions, emotions, and ideas.
It is our aim that all children:
- Develop a good linguistic knowledge of vocabulary and grammar and apply this to their writing;
- Apply their learning of synthetic phonics and spelling accurately in their writing;
- Take pride in the presentation of their work in part by developing a good, joined, handwriting style by the time they move to secondary school;
- Edit and re-draft;
- Let their imagination flourish through the writing of fiction and poetry;
- Write for a variety of purposes and audiences across all curriculum subjects;
- Have a variety of opportunities to showcase their writing;
- Are prepared for the next stage of their educational journey.
This will be achieved through the quality first teaching of our text-based English curriculum, including phonics, spelling, grammar and reading. Our whole curriculum is shaped by our school vision which aims to enable all children, regardless of background, ability, additional needs, and to flourish to become the very best version of themselves they can possibly be. We teach the National Curriculum, supported by a clear progression. This ensures that skills and knowledge are built on year by year and sequenced appropriately to maximise learning for all children.